OverDrive Integration in Koha with 18.05
With the release of 18.05, OverDrive is integrated within Koha with more functionality for patrons! Now patrons can search for OverDrive records in your Koha catalog, place OverDrive records on hold and check out OverDrive records right from within Koha.
Your library will need to apply for access to the patron API via the developers' site with OverDrive: https://developer.overdrive.com/
You will want to mention in the description that you are enabling their KOHA integration and request 'patron authentication'.
Visit go to http://developer.overdrive.com/
- Sign in using your Overdrive admin account credentials (this is your admin username and password for your overdrive account, not koha)
- Once you are signed in go to Member Center then Get new APIs
- Select the check-box for Patron Authentication
- Under planned API usage open text box.
- Please enter the following.
- We will be using this for the OverDriveCirculation with our Koha ils system.
- Click submit
- Once you hit submit, you will be given a screen letting you know Overdrive will contact you with additional information.
Here are a few steps to remember when setting this up for a library:
- The library will need to access a few pieces of key information from OverDrive for this authentication set-up.
- Authenticate with OverDrive with Overdrive Auth Name
- Overdrive Website ID.
- With this information, the library will add these details in the system preferences that are specific to OverDrive found in the Enhanced Content Tab in the System Preferences.
These are new with this Authentication Set-up
3. A another new system preference that was added with 17.11 which will tell Koha how your users log into OverDrive will also need to be filled out by the library:
OverdriveCirculation: Enable/Don’t Enable users to access Overdrive Circulation history and to circulate items.
OverdrivePasswordRequired: Require/Don’t require if a password/pin is required for users to access Overdrive
4. Once this is set up, users will log into the OPAC and see a new tab in their account summary for their OverDrive Account. Patrons will then log into their OverDrive account and this will authorize the user into OverDrive authentication.
5. Now when a patron searches in Koha, they can click to see records (real-time) in the OverDrive collection of the library- check them out or place a hold on a checked out item.
6. Once logged into their Overdrive account they can see all their items checked out and any items they have placed on hold.
This is such a great enhancement to authenticate into OverDrive from Koha!
Read more by Kelly McElligott